Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Raschka's Store and Wells' Garage

Raschka's store PC
(Click on images to enlarge)

This postcard shows William and Carrie Raschka's store in Ainsworth around 1910. I know, we've seen this image before. But the last time we saw it, it wasn't scanned from my personal copy of the postcard, which I myself bought, personally, and which therefore is my own personal postcard. Mine, mine, mine!

… Yes, I was a bit excited to get my very own Ainsworth postcard!

The message on the back is cute:

Raschka's store PC verso

If I've deciphered the signature correctly, the sender was Helen (Wilson) Wells. In 1910 she was 30 years old, married since 1903 to Burgess C. Wells (28), a Ross Township farmer. They had no children.

I think Burgess was the "B.C." Wells who for a time around 1912 ran a garage in Hobart. I don't know how long that garage lasted. If I've found the right people in the census, the Wellses had moved to Denver, Colorado, by 1920.


Sources:
1900 Census.
1910 Census.
1920 Census.
Indiana Marriage Collection.

No comments: