Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hobart Then and Now: Union Block/MainSource Bank

Circa 1911, and 2012.

Union Block (Stommel's)
Third and Center SW corner 2012
(Click on images to enlarge)

Here we have the southwest corner of Third and Center Streets in downtown Hobart, Indiana. The first image comes from a postcard postmarked 1911. At the east (left) end is the Wm. Stommel & Co. Spot Cash Store; to the west of that is Charles Borger's harness shop; and at the west end, if I'm reading the lettering on the window correctly, is Charles Gruel's store — probably a meat market, since he so describes his business in the 1910 Census. And the next building down the street would be The Hub, John Hillman's saloon.

I feel lucky to have got this postcard, as I don't believe I've seen this particular view of the Union Block before. The details are wonderful, so I scanned the living daylights out of this thing; while the image above links to a reduced version, you can view the "Original" size on Flickr to see details — but I warn you, it's a very large file.

Here are a couple details I especially liked. First, two women(?) watching the photographer from the second-story bay window to the right of the Spot Cash Store sign.

Watching the Photographer

On the door below the Spot Cash Store sign, we can see the names Mackey and Faulkner. I expect the two doctors had offices on the second story.

Mackey and Faulkner

And the fancy lettering on Charles Borger's windows!

C.A. Borger

The left windows reads: "C.A. Borger/Whips." On the right window, we can partially see what I think is "Harness," and below that, smaller, "Blankets." Which latter would account for those blankets festooning the entrance.

2 comments:

Suzi Emig said...

Such wonderful architectural details on these buildings...I also love the child sitting on the bench on the far right!

Ainsworthiana said...

I wish I'd had a chance to see this building in person! Its being torn down was a loss to Hobart. But I suppose it had gotten pretty dilapidated in its later years...