Monday, August 20, 2012

The Old Mill circa 1932 (Random Old Photo)

Photographers never got tired of shooting the old mill, and sometimes when I'm trying to figure out if I've got a "new" photo or one I've already used, I feel as if I were a child again, playing that game where you try to spot the small differences between nearly identical pictures.

But I think this is a new one (in the sense that I hadn't put it up on the Downtown Hobart blog yet).

Old Mill 1932
(Click on image to enlarge)

Notice the three or four figures on the riverbank — women, I think, though the one in the hat might be a boy. That's probably a plain old skiff pulled up on the bank, as opposed to a coffin that they're about to launch for a Viking funeral. The water level seems low.

Here's the reverse.

Old Mill 1932 verso

So it was sent from Chicago in 1932, to Wisconsin, and not signed. As for sister Signa, I do find in the 1930 Census a Signa Oberg living in Gary, with husband Frank, but none in Hobart. With so little to go on, I can't know if that's the right one.

I'm deciphering the recipients' name as Greenhault, but that doesn't do me any good; I can't find them.

No comments: