Monday, June 18, 2012

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: Smooth Sumac

Smooth Sumac plant
(Click on images to enlarge)

I believe this is smooth sumac, found in Jerry Pavese Park. (I keep calling everything "Wildflowers of Ainsworth" because this is the Ainsworth blog, gosh darn it.)

I used to think all sumac was poisonous, but now I've learned (thanks to Newcomb's Wildflower Guide) that poison sumac is only one variety, and it grows in swamps. It must be pretty dangerous stuff, as Mr. Newcomb includes an italicized comment in its description: "Very poisonous at all seasons."

However, I can't find anyone who says that smooth sumac is poisonous. The worst I've found is this site, which calls it a "woody nuisance."

A close-up of the blossoms, which I've never paid much attention to before:
Smooth Sumac blossoms

1 comment:

The Weed Eater said...

Not poisonous, in fact highly nutritious! The sticky coating on the outside of the fruit is ascorbic acid, better known as vitamin C. Steep whole clusters in cold water for 24 hours to extract the goodness!