Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: Common Mallow

I have been seeing this low-growing plant everywhere, in parks and at people's houses, and I have been diligently ignoring it because I assumed it was some kind of domesticated flower. This morning I took the trouble to check Newcomb's Wildflower Guide and what do you know, it's in there.

Common Mallow
(Click on images to enlarge)

This particular specimen is from Deep River County Park, at the north end of the parking lot. (You can see the curb in the picture.)

Common mallow is edible; this site has some information about how parts of the plant can fill the roles of okra and egg whites.

Common Mallow blossom

♦    ♦    ♦

In barn-swallow news, the chicks have hatched! I can't see into the nest, of course, but for several days I have noticed the barn swallows perching on its edge and reaching down again and again as if feeding tiny chicks. This morning I finally saw a little open beak stick up out of the nest.

No comments: