Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hobart Then and Now: Streetcar Barn

Circa 1918 and 2011.

Carbarnca1918
Carbarns2011
(Click on image to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


Streetcar barn on Third Street, on the west side of the Deep River. Sorry about the poor quality of the old photo, but that's all I could get.

You can just make out a streetcar inside the left bay. (I don't know what that is in the right bay.) So I guess this is where the streetcars were stored when they weren't running.

I'm told that during the 1930s, robbers would sometimes lie in wait at the barn and rob the conductor when he brought the car in after the last run of the night. They were called the "car barn bandits."

2 comments:

Janice said...

I think I remember the DMV being in that building where I obtained my first drivers license. But my memory isn't what it used to be. . . I walked past that building so many times as a kid--never knew we had streetcars once and that they were kept in that building.

Ainsworthiana said...

I remember the DMV being there when I first moved out here, some 20 years ago.