Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hobart Then and Now: Fourth Street, Town Hall

Circa 1965 and 2011.

Townhallundated
Cityhall2011
(Click on image to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


The top image is undated. I'm just guessing circa 1965 based on the cars, and as I've said before, I don't know anything about cars.

I think the old town hall sat closer to Fourth Street and slightly further west than the current one. Anybody who actually experienced the old town is invited to comment!

Someone told me that building in the background might have been a jail.

♦    ♦    ♦

[update] Some additional information, thanks to Bonnie, from a 1979 article compiled by the Hobart Historical Society and entitled, "Downtown Hobart": "Sherman Henderson, who became Hobart City's first mayor, built a home and ice cream factory here. Hobart bought the building for a city hall, jail and fire-fighters' office in 1925."

Bonnie adds: "I remember it but not very well. The far west end of the building was the license bureau and the jail was in the back of the building behind the police department. My husband remembers a car dealership or garage just to the east of the building. I think your current picture is accurate as far as placement of the building is concerned. I don't know what was in the smaller section on the east."

No comments: