Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: False Solomon's Seal (Again)

FalseSolomonsSealredux
(Click on image to enlarge)

Yes, I know I got False Solomon's Seal last year. But this is a better picture!

Here are the blossoms close up:

FalseSolomonsSealblossoms

Found along a footpath in Deep River County Park. There are numerous true Solomon's Seals there as well, but I'm waiting for them to blossom.

♦    ♦    ♦

This is always a hectic time of year for me. Not only the outdoor work, but preparing for the one party I have at my house every year, which means I have to get this dump looking presentable. But this year I've taken on an additional project that has eaten up a surprising number of hours. A former Ainsworth resident (and long-time Hobart resident) has kindly allowed me to borrow an old photo album. I scanned all 200+ photos, transcribed all the notes on the backs, printed out 84 pages with the images on them so I'd have something to write on, and then over the course of two days sat down with the owner and went over all the images to get the stories behind them, all the while taking notes; then back to my computer to write up all the notes into a Word document. The final product will be a printout of the Word document, matching the images to the notes, and a DVD containing that plus all the scanned images.

The thing is, I'm not sure anyone will ever be interested in any of this. It won't appear on the blog (too personal). A copy will go to the museum, but I image it will disappear into a file and never be heard from again. A copy will go to the owner of the photos — now, there, if the photo album and DVD stay together, by the time we get down to the great-great-great-great-grandchildren, I suppose they may find it interesting, if they have any interest in their family history. And if indeed the notes stay with the album.

… So, lots of ifs.

Perhaps a hundred years from now some weirdo like me will be nosing around in the Hobart Historical Society files, as I've been doing, and will stumble across these photos and notes and say, "Wow! What a find!" Perhaps not. All I know is, if I don't do this now, the odds of that ever happening are nil.


Also, my refrigerator is making funny noises.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am doing an oral history in my town, and doing the same kind of work. They are giving me pictures at the time of the interview, and I am working them into their "story." It IS a lot of work! More power to you!

Did they have any good pics of Ainsworth or any landmarks there? I grew up in the area from 1964 to 1981, and my parents remember it even further back. I would LOVE to see a pic of the old motor camp right by "dead man's curve", or a great pic of the interior of the WC Haan school.

Keep up your good work--I read this every day!

Ainsworthiana said...

No, unfortunately I'm still looking for a picture of the Cosy Camp. The photo album had a nice one of the outside of the school circa 1963, but none of the interior. But I'll keep looking -- maybe someday!

Anonymous said...

I found one old class picture of the inside, but it was undated. Want it?

Ainsworthiana said...

Sure! If I put it up on the blog, there's always a chance someone will recognize it and give us a date.