Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hobart Then and Now: First Schoolhouse/Masonic Temple

Circa 1914 and 2010

Masonic temple
(Click on images to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.

Hobart's first schoolhouse was built in 1845, using volunteer labor and planks milled from one oak tree. It stood on the spot on Center Street now occupied by the Masonic Temple. In 1925 it was pulled down and the Masonic Temple built in its place.

Here's a side view of the schoolhouse, probably during the early 1920s, when it served as someone's residence:

Schoolhouse 1920s

No comments: