Sunday, September 13, 2009

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: Wood Sorrel

P1000311
(Click on image to enlarge)

Since I retired, I have time to attend to all the chores around here that I neglected for 18 years. I've been too busy to keep the thorn trees from spreading their evil roots all through my property, or to stop the randomly seeded elms from growing tall and blocking the sun from the fruit trees, or to kill the prolific and hardy poison ivy, which really should be named the Official Plant of Ainsworth.

I took this picture while I was taking a little break from attending to all three of those chores. Thorn trees to dig up, elms to cut down, poison ivy to kill, all in one area of about 90 square feet.

I want summer to be over soon. I'm tired! I have to mow the lawn and pick the tomatoes, and I went to an auction today and wasted 3 mortal hours and $25 and came away with nothing that serves my particular purposes, although it was interesting to look through. And when I got home I was too tired to mow the lawn or pick the tomatoes.

At the auction, there were tables upon tables spread with glassware, tchotchkes, sports memorabilia and historical artifacts; there were boxes and boxes of linens, books and kitchenwares; there was furniture in the front yard, the back yard and the house. And I thought to myself, as I walked through the tiny house: All that was in here?

I may end up the same way, at the rate I'm collecting Ainsworth and Hobart stuff. Note to self: don't go to any more auctions. Also: give stuff away.

No comments: