Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Acquaintances at Rest

Yesterday morning was gloomy and wet, perfect for wandering around Hobart Cemetery, where I encountered some acquaintances from previous posts.

William and Carrie Raschka, the "merchant of Ainsworth" and his Chesterian wife, whose relatives once owned my property.
RaschkaWmandCarrie
(Click on images to enlarge)

I tried to brush the moss off Carrie's name, but I just made it worse.


Members of the Ream family:

Arnold Ream, the young man killed by lightning.
ReamArnold

Arvin Ream, his uncle.
ReamArvin

John Ream, his grandfather (I believe) and the diligent taxpayer of Porter County.
ReamJohn
The gravestone is so worn that you can scarcely read his name. I think I can make out the birth year, 1821, but the rest is illegible. To the left and right of this monument are smaller stones, "Wife" and "Husband," so presumably John's wife is buried there as well, but if her name was ever on the stone, time and weather have erased it.

No comments: