Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ainsworth Then and Now: John Wood School(?)

[5/15/2020 update] The 1962 image is not John Wood School. I don't know what it is, but it's not John Wood School. You want to see John Wood School in 1962? Go here.

Circa 1962 and 2013.
John Wood School ca 1962
John Wood 2013
(Click on images to enlarge)
Top image courtesy of the Merrillville-Ross Township Historical Society.


According to the handwritten caption on the first photo, this is the John Wood school, and the school looks pretty freshly built. The lettering on the building is not clear; however, to me it looks more like "Jonas E. Salk" than "John Wood." I would never have recognized the building — and what are all those structures behind it? It seems to have been placed in a densely built suburban neighborhood. Yet the 1965 aerial view of the school does not show those houses, or whatever they are.

I am mystified. It would be very nice to have a photo of the just-built John Wood School, but I'm not sure I do here.

No comments: