Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hobart Then and Now: Cleveland Avenue

Cleveland St from PC PM 1909
Cleveland Ave 2013
(Click on images to enlarge)

Here we have another view of Cleveland Avenue. (Sorry about the quality of the historical photo; I did look around for a better version, but in the end I had to scan it from the tiny reproduction on my 1909 road trip postcard.) It's not the most illuminating picture I've ever seen, but it's what I've got.

I'm pretty sure that first house in the old photo is the Melin house, so we're looking eastward along Cleveland from the cemetery corner.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

You're right. Dr. Rane's office is on the left side of this inter-section at Michigan Ave. The address of this house is 600 Cleveland. The 1940 City Directory shows the William Distell family living there with 6 children who probably went to Hobart High.