Saturday, January 26, 2013

Samuel Bartlett Woods, Enumerator

In light of the fact that my microfilm reading (remember when I used to read microfilm, instead of just posting pictures?*) has now gone through the taking of the 1920 census, I thought I'd post this picture of one of Ross Township's enumerators, Sam Woods, who was also something of a local historian.

Sam B. Woods
(Click on image to enlarge)
From The First Hundred Years of Lake County, Indiana by Sam B. Woods (1938). Image courtesy of the Merrillville/Ross Township Historical Society.


He was born in Ross Township in 1856. You can find the farm belonging to his parents, Bartlett and Ann Woods, southeast of Ross Station in the 1874 Plat Map, and in the 1908 Plat Map, Sam's own land is just north of Lottaville.

Sam lived to be 100 years old.

Here he is counting people in the heart of Ainsworth:
Ainsworth 1920 by Sam Woods
(Click on images to enlarge)
Census images from Ancestry.com.


And in the village of Deep River:
1920 census, Deep River

__________________
*This is a facetious remark. I still read microfilm and I'll get around to posting something from it one of these days.

No comments: