Friday, September 16, 2016

Maple Spanworm

This moth getting into my house a couple weeks ago motivated me to buy a moth-identification book.*

2016-9-16. Maple Spanworm 1
(Click on images to enlarge)

It belongs to the Geometer family. I believe it is a Large Maple Spanworm moth.

2016-9-16. Maple Spanworm 2

What I have learned just from paging through the guide is that there are more kinds of moths around here than I ever knew, and some of them have names as interesting as mushroom names, e.g., Wanton Pinion, Deceptive Snout, Confused Eusarca, The Bride, The Infant, and The Slowpoke.

___________________________
*David Beadle & Seabrooke Leckie, Peterson Field Guide to Moths of Northeastern North America (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012).

1 comment:

Rachel said...

All of those would make great nicknames :P