Thursday, September 8, 2016

Honey

Here we have a young Minnie Rossow Harms, wearing an apron with a "HONEY" label pinned to it.

2016-9-8. redalbum039
(Click on images to enlarge)
Images courtesy of Eldon Harms.


As I've mentioned, the Rossows and Mundells were neighbors, and the most likely explanation I can think of for the "HONEY" apron is that Minnie was working at Joe Mundell's honey-producing operation. However, if she did so, her son Eldon Harms could not recall her ever mentioning it, nor have I heard of it from any other source.

The photo is printed on a postcard with a stamp box style dating between 1904 and 1918.

2016-9-8. redalbum040

Though I can't see much of her dress, her skirt nearly touches the ground, which moves the photo back from 1918;* but I don't think Minnie (born 1897) could be less than fourteen here … so I would guess at 1911-15 for the date of this photo.

_______________________
*That's assuming she hasn't got herself up in some sort of fancy-dress costume, to which current fashion would be less important.

No comments: