Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hobart High School Class of 1916: Myrtle Nelson

MyrtleNelson
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


The young farmer who had stolen Myrtle's heart was Ernest Sitzenstock, Jr., the son of Ernest and Emma Sitzenstock. They had come to the U.S. from Germany in the early 1880s. The family farmed southwest of Ainsworth, and lived in a quiet way. The most noise they've made so far was in the summer of 1910, when a two-year-old colt named Lillie Star belonging to Ernest (Sr., I'm assuming) proved to be a fast pacer; she could run 30 m.p.h. Someone in Gary offered Ernest $1,100 for Lillie Star, but he wouldn't sell at that price. The last I heard, in the summer of 1911 he'd sent Lillie Star to Crown Point to train for the race track.

In 1916 Ernest Jr. was 24, Myrtle 19. Obviously, they had been an item for some time, but still they managed to surprise their friends on June 16 by running over to Crown Point together and coming back married. A week later, Aunt Carrie Raschka held a belated bridal shower for her niece.

So now Lovisa Chester Nelson had only two minor children, Wayne and Grace, left at home. Where exactly "home" was for her at this time, I don't know.


Sources:
♦ "Ainsworth Pick-Ups." Hobart Gazette 29 July 1910; 26 Aug. 1910.
♦ Hobart High School Aurora yearbook, 1916.
♦ "Local Drifts." Hobart Gazette 5 May 1911.
♦ "Personal and Local Mention." Hobart News 29 June 1916.
♦ "Sitzenstock-Nelson." Hobart News 15 June 1916.

3 comments:

Carla's Mom said...

I am so happy to see an article about Ernest, Jr. and Myrtle (Nelson). They lived long productive lives and loved each other until the day they died. A wonderful couple. I loved them both. My children are direct descendants of Ernest and Myrtle and my son carries the Sitzenstock name. Thank you so much.
Jeanne Markland

Ainsworthiana said...

It's nice to hear from their family! If you'd like to contribute any photos or reminiscences, I'd love to have them!

Carla said...

Hello! I'm Carla Sitzenstock, great granddaughter of Ernest and Myrtle (their son Raymond was my paternal grandfather. . Jeanne, the first commentor is my mom. I was so lucky to know my great grandparents until they died when I was school age. Thanks for this post. So cool to see.