Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Garbage Dumps of Ainsworth: Tanks for Nothing

MysteriousTank
(Click on image to enlarge)

I wonder how this big tank ended up in the river bottoms in northern Deep River County Park? And when I say "big," I mean it's about 5 or 6 feet long, so it must be very heavy. And it's at least a quarter mile from any house that ever existed on that side of the river. Did somebody drag it down there? (And did they drain the propane or gasoline or whatever before they did?) Or did it float there on the river's flood tide?

I actually do spend time wondering about things like this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually that is a tank from an oil fired furnace... usually kerosene. Not real heavy but awkward. Would have floated very easily as it seems all the plugs are in place.

Ainsworthiana said...

Thank you for the information! It's amazing what I learn from comments on this blog. :)

Anonymous said...

It's been a long time since you posted this so I hope you'll pardon my late commentary...It probably did just float there on it's own...but it looks suspiciously like the same type of tank illegal moonshiners would use as the pot section of a still, if it's near a water source and kind of out in the middle of nowhere that could also be what was going on

Ainsworthiana said...

OK, I like the moonshiner story, I think I'm going to go with that! It's not near the river, but since those bottomlands flood all the time, I suppose it might have floated a bit from where the moonshiners originally put it.