Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Great Ice Storm of Ainsworth

From Mildred Lindborg's photo album.

45b Ice Storm
(Click on image to enlarge)

I do not know any details of the Great Ice Storm of Ainsworth. All I know is that there must have been a Great Ice Storm of Ainsworth because what else could bring down trees like that, and leave the downed trees and the standing trees alike all coated with ice?

We are not sure who all these people are, beyond Anna Lindborg (at left, in the dark hat) and Gust Lindborg (the man in the cap). That may be Gladys right in front of Anna, and Mildred next to her. If that is Gladys, then judging by her apparent age, I'd say this dates to the mid- to late 1920s.

Behind them stands the blacksmith shop/dance hall/garage. We can see from the signs that Gust sold John Deere farming equipment and Studebaker wagons as well as gasoline and motor oil.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Welcome back - we missed you!

Ainsworthiana said...

Thanks -- I missed blogging so much I had to start up again even though my image links aren't fixed yet.