Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Jennie and Homer

Having been showered with gifts to start her own household, Jennie Chester married Homer Hull on January 5, 1921, and the young couple made plans to get as far away from Ainsworth as they could without leaving the country.

Chester-Hull
(Click on image to enlarge)
From the Hobart News of 6 Jan. 1921.


The groom must have been pretty well fixed if he could afford a complete set of sterling silver.

I had lived half a lifetime without ever having seen the word "duvequyn," and an internet search turns up only "dyvetyne" (in various spellings), which may be what is meant, since it was used for clothing in the early part of the 20th century.

Looking at various images of reindeer, I suppose Jennie's suit was grayish-brown.

It's interesting that she was married in the Catholic Church. So far as I know, the Charles Chester family (while apparently not particularly religious) was Protestant; for example, when Kittie died in 1910, a Methodist pastor officiated at her funeral. If the whole family converted, I did not hear about it. Jennie may have been the exception.

Anyway, the Chester house was now devoid of daughters.

2 comments:

Suzi Emig said...

Also interesting is an 8am Wednesday wedding! That old Chester house saw a lot of great partys. I think I mentioned previously that I remember that Jennie came to my grandfather's funeral (his wife was her cousin) and she sent us lots of Catholic pamphlets after that. So she stayed true to her faith, which is kind of nice to know. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for your blog! :)

Ainsworthiana said...

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!