Friday, July 13, 2012

A Twist in the Mausoleum Story

After I had waxed rhapsodical about the Gruel mausoleum and its mysterious absence from Crown Hill Cemetery, and then Suzi pointed me to an explanation on findagrave.com, I thought the matter had been pretty much laid to rest, as it were. Now I come across an unexpected twist:

Gruel mausoleum
(Click on image to enlarge)
From the "Local and Personal" column of the Hobart News, 31 July 1919.


The Gruel mausoleum I was rhapsodizing about was indeed described as having six cribs. So it may have been there all the time, right under my nose. (I can't say for sure, because goodness only knows what happened in later years.) The Mundell mausoleum is every bit as impressive as the Gruel mausoleum's description.

Mundell mausoleum
(Click on image to enlarge)

But now we have a 12-crib mausoleum to build, and eventually demolish.

No comments: