Thursday, July 26, 2012

Henry's Secret Friend

I recently bought this weird postcard:

Hoffman, Henry postcard
(Click on images to enlarge)

I think that's supposed to be funny, but I don't get it. And I can't tell whether that "Oh you kid, I'll get you yet" was machine-printed to look like handwriting, or actually handwritten on the card by the sender.

Who the sender was is a mystery, since he/she didn't sign it. The recipient was Henry Hoffman.

Hoffman, Henry verso

Per the 1910 Census, Henry was about 25 years old, single, living with his parents and siblings on a farm in the Turkey Creek area. His father, John G. Hoffman, owned several parcels of land (see the 1908 Plat Map); I don't know exactly which they occupied.

From later censuses, I gather that Henry did not marry, after all. I can't find him in the 1920 Census, but in the 1930 Census, he's living with his parents in Hobart, working as an insurance agent, and giving his marital status as single (not divorced, not widowed). Same thing in the 1940 Census.

I showed this card to a long-time local resident and he remembered Henry Hoffman as farming this parcel shown in the 1926 Plat Book (there are also 40 acres north of the Hobart-Ross Twp. line).

Hoffman 1926 land

No comments: