Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: American Vetch

American Vetch blossoms
(Click on images to enlarge)

I believe what we have here is American vetch, aka purple vetch. It is a flowering vine. I found this one (along with many others like it) in Jerry Pavese Park, growing beneath the trees on the unmowed slope down to Lake George.

The flowers are pretty, but I didn't manage to get a very good picture of them.

American Vetch blossoms 2

Oh well.

In the picture below, that toothed ring around the stem at left is called a stipule. I just learned that, in the process of trying to identify this thing.

American Vetch Stipule

Yep, this is all you get today. Welcome to Extreme Summer Posting Time, aka Why Did I Think It Was a Good Idea to Start Building an Outdoor Storage Bin at the Busiest Time of Year? Posting Time.

No comments: