Thursday, March 15, 2012

Early Attempt at Scenic Beauty (Random Old Photo)

Lake George scene/H. Schumacher
(Click on image to enlarge)

I bought this postcard because, hey, it's Hobart, and it was cheap. This murky, unfocused shot of some unspecified spot along Lake George(?) is not exactly beautiful and not at all informative. I like it anyway, just because when I look at it I get the feeling that I'm peeking through a dusty little window into Hobart's past.

Then I go look up Hattie Schumacher in the census records, and find that she was — well, if not precisely an Ainsworth person, at least a Ross Township person. The 1900 Census shows her, at the age of 19, living with her parents, Fred and Selma, and her 10-year-old brother Frank. Fred described himself as a farmer. According to the 1908 Plat Map, his farm was small, about 25 acres (the 1926 Plat Book says 23):

Schumacher farm, 1908
(Click on image to enlarge)

Per the Indiana Marriage Collection, in 1909 Hattie married William Schavey. In the 1910 Census, she and William were living on brother Frank's farm in Hobart Township.

I have almost nothing about the Schumachers in the notes from my newspaper reading. Either they've been a quiet family, or I've ignored them. (I can't establish any relation between them and Augusta Sauter Fiester, née Schumacher.)

The postcard is postmarked 1908 (or possibly 1906; could be either, from the style of the card).

Schumacher postcard, verso
(Click on image to enlarge)

No comments: