Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dear Aunt Lizzie (Random Old Photo)

The M.E. Church and parsonage in Hobart, from a postcard postmarked 1914.

M.E. Church, Parsonage PM 1914
(Click on images to enlarge)

I know, I know: we've seen this before. So why did I buy it? I don't know. But, turns out, it's part of the Elizabeth Lahayne collection. Here's the verso:

M.E. Church, PM 1914, verso

I don't know who Alvina was; I can't find her in either John's or Dora's family, but there was at least one other Lahayne sibling, and then in-laws as well, and people were pretty loose with the terms "aunt" and "uncle" in those days.

The postmark is Wheeler, as it was on Dora's postcard, so maybe Alvina was staying with Dora. And asking Aunt Lizzie to meet her at the Valparaiso Nickel Plate depot at 10 o'clock, and if she "haint" on that train she'll be on the 4 o'clock for sure.

I see that Alvina has picked up the family habit of using incorrect English to be playful. That is, I think it's just playfulness.

No comments: