Friday, December 23, 2011

Bird's Nest (Random Pointless Photo)

When the leaves fell off my only fruitful persimmon tree, I saw that some birds had built a nest in the top branches, which isn't saying much because the tree is not very tall, but it's tall enough that getting a photo of the nest required the use of a ladder, which is why it took me so long to get around to photographing the nest. Because I do not like ladders.

Bird's nest 1
(Click on images to enlarge)

It's a neat, compact nest, resting in the fork of several upright branches, well attached to them all. I climbed as high as I dared on the ladder, but it wasn't high enough to see into the nest. To get a shot of the interior, I just held the camera up at arm's length, pointing down at the nest, and shot away. Some of the pictures I took actually included the nest!

Bird's nest 2

I have just bought a bird-nest identification guide. Going by that guide, I believe what we have here is an American Goldfinch nest.

I don't think my bird-nest guide is going to get a lot of use, since, as I may have mentioned, I do not like ladders.

No comments: