Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Butler Cottage

Butler cottage Hobart Indiana
(Click on image to enlarge)

This image was sent in by Heather with these comments:
This one is from my Butler family line, of which William Moulton Butler was the head. The following was written on the back:

Butler Cottage in Hobart, Ind. Your birthplace, Julia.

Julia would have been Julia Carrie Butler, born July 4, 1871. She was married first to Frank Trenton and then to William Foster in 1896. I don't know where the house was, but the family did live on Cleveland Ave. in the 1880s.
Well, I have walked along part of Cleveland Avenue, and driven along the rest of it, and the only house I could find that actually made me pause for a moment is this:
House on Cleveland
(Click on image to enlarge)
The front door and windows are reversed, which I suppose could happen if the original had been printed from a reversed negative, but beyond that the proportions and angles don't seem exactly right, so my impression is that it's not a match, unfortunately. Thus I'm labeling this image "unidentified."

The Butler house wasn't necessarily on Cleveland Avenue, so if it's still standing it may be somewhere else. And as often happens, it may be remodeled beyond recognition.

But if anybody knows anything about this, I'd like to hear it!

1 comment:

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Thank you for posting this...you never know what we may find.