Saturday, October 30, 2010

Wild Mushrooms of Ainsworth: Pear-Shaped Puffball

Pear-ShapedPuffball
(Click on image to enlarge)

Found on a [guess what] in [guess where].

Pear-Shaped Puffballs are edible so long as you pick them when they're young and their flesh is still pure white. And when I say "you" I mean not me.

Why do I find all the boring mushrooms? As I'm paging through the color plates trying to identify these stupid things, I'm coming across mushrooms with such fabulous names that I wish I could find them just so I could have the pleasure of typing out, e.g., Hated Amanita, Destroying Angel, Questionable Stropharia, Big Laughing Gym, Poison Pie, Corpse Finder, and Many-Headed Slime.

1 comment:

Janice said...

I can't decide which is my favorite--I like them all but I keep coming back to this puff ball.