Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wildflowers of Ainsworth: Jack-in-the-Pulpit Berries

If I'd been paying attention when I first looked up Jack-in-the-Pulpit in my wildflower guide, I might have remembered that they produce berries at the end of the season, and not have been so mystified when I came across several bunches of berries in the Deep River bottoms yesterday afternoon …

Jack-in-the-Pulpitberries
(Click on image to enlarge)

… and saved myself a lot of Googling.

The berries are eye-catching but poisonous.

I wanted to go photograph some new wildflowers I found near where the skunk cabbage was, but when I got to the west entrance to the Big Maple Lake area, I found it blocked by a big truck pulling an even bigger trailer full of porta-potties. [Insert joke here.] Maybe another day.

No comments: