Friday, October 30, 2009

Chester Cemetery, second draft

Chester Cemetery Draft 10-30-09

Having searched through the census, birth, death, marriage, draft and Civil War pension records available through Ancestry.com, I have been able to fill out a little more information on who these people were.

When I have rested my brain a bit, I will have to try the newspaper database again. But when you're talking 1850s and 1860s and a sparse population, you're not going to find anything in the newspaper database. People were born, married and died with little record beyond the census. Children who were born and died within the decade between censuses escaped all official notice.

Some of these names are included because they were on the list at the Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society website, but I couldn't find the corresponding stone and so there are no birth and death dates. I will have to go back and make a better record of which stones I couldn't find. Sometimes I found the stone, but the birth and death dates were illegible, and the censuses couldn't help.

I'm surprised by how thoroughly Frank L. Booty evaded notice from everyone except the draft board, and the newspapers when he came to his remarkable end.

No comments: