Sunday, December 21, 2014

Hobart Then and Now: Villa Rose Tavern

Circa 1946-1956, and 2014.

Villa Rose Tavern
Hobart Trustee's office
(Click on images to enlarge)

Formerly the Villa Rose Tavern, now the Hobart Township Trustee's office, at 1421 W. 37th Avenue in Hobart.

I just recently bought this postcard. It is unused, and I couldn't find anything on the back that would help me date it.

Villa Rose Tavern postcard verso

Checking some of the old directories at the Hobart Historical Society, I found it listed no earlier than 1946 and no later than 1956. So that's how I estimated the date of the photo: very superficial research.

The 1920 Census and 1930 Census show a John Kiefer (born 1910) living on a farm in Ross Township, but I have no clue whether it's the same person.

No comments: