Monday, October 20, 2014

Fred Carbine

Well, guess what. Now I do know where the Hite cottage was, thanks to Suzi Emig's comment on yesterday's post:
My maternal g'father Fred Carbine was the youngest of nine children born to Christian and Caroline Kegebein. He married Anna Buchfuehrer. My mom was their youngest child born in 1921. She said they lived in the house in Ainsworth which is now 7237 Hwy 51 at that time. They moved to 756 Lincoln St. where they raised their family and lived until their deaths. My mom told me that the house originally did not have a basement, so it was raised up and a basement was dug out. I have many happy memories of that house and even got to see the inside with my mom years later when my neighbor's daughter bought the house. My grandfather as a young man worked for the Wood family in Deep River at their store, then delivered for Roper and Brown, so this was probably the grain dealer as per the blurb.
And furthermore she sent me this image of Fred Carbine with a horse-drawn delivery wagon:

2014-10-20. Fred Carbine
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of Suzi Emig.


The photo is not dated, but may date to the time when Fred was employed at the Wood store, circa 1910.

From the Hobart News of 26 Oct. 1911, his wedding announcement:

2014-10-20. Carbein-Buchfuehrer wedding
(Click on image to enlarge)


(I began indexing this family under the spelling on the grave marker at Woodvale Cemetery, but apparently the younger generation Americanized it, and I have seen "Carbine" used often in the newspapers. All the same, I'm not going to change my indexing.)

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Both the Kegebine and Carbine surnames had various spellings as well, just to add to the confusion! The change to Carbein or Carbine was the result of some sort of scandal involving a cousin of Christian's with the same name. I have not been able to determine exactly what it was. Must have been something pretty bad.
Nice to know that the old Buchfuehrer/Casbon farmhouse saw some happy occasions!

Ainsworthiana said...

Oh, I just love historical scandals!