Saturday, September 6, 2014

Lincoln Highway Progress Report

It's late June 1921 and the Lincoln Highway has been paved from the town of Deep River west to the "Smith corner" — which I previously identified as the junction of present-day E. 73rd Ave. and Ainsworth Rd./Greene St. The "Boyd corner" would probably be the Mississippi Street intersection.

2014-9-6. Lincoln Hwy news
(Click on images to enlarge)
"Local Drifts," Hobart Gazette 24 June 1921.


Among the social items on that page we find a party at the home of Mrs. John Fleck, whom we first knew as Daisy Raschka. As for the Deppe farm … well, I thought perhaps I should mention it, if only because up until now I've ignored the Deppe family and dropped the name of the "Frank Deppe farm" only in order to say that I didn't know where it was. I still don't. But here's the farm shown in the 1926 Plat Book as belonging to Catherine Deppe:

2014-9-6. Deppe 1926


OK, now let's get back to the Lincoln Highway progress report:

2014-9-6. Lincoln Hwy news
Hobart News 30 June 1921.

(Also, the Gem Theater has changed hands.)

No comments: