Monday, September 16, 2013

Hattie Mueller, and Maybe Her Sister

From the steamer trunk.

10a Hattie Mueller
(Click on images to enlarge)
Images courtesy of E.H.


10b Hattie Mueller PC

At first I thought I would have to be content with admiring her lovely dress, because I couldn't identify which of the several Hattie Muellers I found in Chicago in the general time frame of this postcard.

But elsewhere among the steamer-trunk collection I found this:

0000-8b Lillie Mueller

0000-8a Lillie Mueller

Assuming Lillie and Hattie are sisters and Mueller their birth name, we find a matching family in the 1900 Census: parents Henry and Minnie (both 33-year-old German immigrants), with daughters Lillie (born 1888), Hattie (born 1890) and Hermine (born 1898), lived on W. Chicago Ave. in Chicago. Henry was a coal dealer. The same family shows up in the 1910 Census with another daughter (Henrietta, 9) and a son (Henry, 3), and four boarders. Henry is operating a "livery" followed by something illegible.

I still have no idea what connection there was between the Muellers and the Rossows.

No comments: