Thursday, July 11, 2013

Big and Little

From the steamer trunk.

11 Big and little
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of E.H.


There is no identification or date on the original. The photographer was August Haase, which suggests it was taken sometime between 1902 and 1912 or so.

I've been wondering if these might be two of the three Rossow sisters. Minnie was born in 1897, Ella in 1899 and Louise about 1903. I would judge the girls in the photo to be more than two or three years apart, so I don't think we've got Minnie and Ella here. We might possibly have Minnie and Louise, except the older girl doesn't look that much like Minnie, and why on earth would the Rossows leave out their middle daughter from such a well planned, formal portrait? (Let's call that the fallacy of the excluded middle.) A similar question arises if we assume these are Ella and Louise. So I think I have to abandon the Rossow-sisters hypothesis, and considered these girls unidentified.

No comments: