Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Brave Sons

From the Schavey envelope collection.

My Brave Sons
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


Unidentified, so I don't actually know if they are his sons. The original is done up as a small postcard, with "Correspondence" and "Address" professionally printed on the back, but it was not used.

The man on the right is the same one who stood beside the young woman in the previous photo. I'm still not sure he's a soldier, but the man on the left certainly looks like one, and is that a service banner in the window behind them?

♦    ♦    ♦

[11/2/2012 update] The curator of the DeWell family archives has pointed out to me that the Hobart News of February 20, 1919, included a photo of Frank Schavey in uniform (Frank being Mable Schavey's uncle). Here it is:

Frank Schavey

That's a scan of a bad microfilm print-out. The original newspaper might be more helpful, if only I could get my hands on it. When I see a resemblance, perhaps I'm seeing what I want to see. At any rate, I've abandoned my Boy Scout/forest ranger/Halloween theory.

No comments: