Sunday, September 9, 2012

Look! Down on the Ground!

From the Schavey envelope collection.

Mable and Harry 1923
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


Handwritten on back: "Mable & Harry (right) 1923(?)" I don't doubt that's Mable and Harry, but I wonder about the date. The first photo I posted from the collection, dated 1924, showed them wearing (so far as I can tell) the same clothes, in roughly the same setting. On how many occasions did these people hang around the railroad tracks in their Sunday best?

Harry seems to be pointing out something on the ground, saying, "Look at that!" — perhaps that large piece of paper.

Mable had only one sister, Loretta, born 1914; if this is 1923 or 1924, that little girl at left could be Loretta. But that's just a wild guess. I have no clue who the woman in the plaid skirt is.

The configuration of railroad tracks and structures ahead of them doesn't look quite right to be southeast of the Pennsy Depot, so I'm in the dark about that too.

No comments: