Friday, January 13, 2012

Alberta

Back when George Severance, Jr. surprised his family by marrying an unnamed young woman, I said I was going to think of Mrs. George Jr. as "Alberta" until proven wrong, based on a possible sighting of the young Severances in the 1920 census. Now a letter from George Jr., still overseas in December 1918, confirms her name.

Coblenz, Germany, Dec. 6.

Dear Father:

I hope you receive this. Am enclosing it with Alberta's and mother's.

After six weeks in a French hospital, I am back with the 61st, and glad to be there, as I was with it through all battles, and want to be with it when it marches through Berlin.

Germany is some place, but not like the old U.S.A. I am quartered in a house with a German family and they seem to be all right, and are glad that the war is over, and are very good to us. At present the grandmother is mending my coat. Here is where my little German came in all right, as I can make them understand me. I am in the 5th division, 3rd army of occupation, and will remain in Germany until the peace is signed. I am in the same army with my cousin, Ed Steinmye.

I am glad, Dad, that I was able to take a man's place in this great war, and through God's mercy have passed through the horrors of trench life and the bloody battlefields, and in good time He will bring me home again; and when we boys come marching home again it will pay for all we have suffered over here to see all the dear folks at home again. I tell you, Dad, the old 61st made a name on the western front that will go down in history. Gen. Pershing said, while reviewing our troops: "Boys, I depend on the old regulars that went through Mexico with me," and I am sure we did not disappoint him, as our company was nearly wiped out before we got reinforcements, but we held our positions, although we are all anxious to be home again.

Give my best wishes for a Happy New Year to all my old friends in the States.

Ever your loving son,

FIRST SERGT. GEO. SEVERANCE.
Co. F. 61st Inf., A.E.F., France
via New York.

The letters to Alberta and to his mother were not published.

Source: "Letters from Army Camps." Hobart Gazette 3 Jan. 1919.

No comments: