Tuesday, August 30, 2011

When An Amateur Historian Has a Bad Day (Part 3)

I went to the library this morning to continue reading the newspapers on microfilm, only to find that the microfilm room is shut down for renovation. They expect to have it open again by October, but if this renovation project goes the way most of them do, it will probably be December or January.

Fortunately, I have a backlog of material to keep posting for another month or so, but if they don't reopen the microfilm room by October, I'll have to go on hiatus. Bummer! Yesterday I complained about being too busy, but I'd rather be too busy than forced to be idle.

On the brighter side, this will give me some time to add more images to Downtown Hobart 1979.

2 comments:

SuziEmig said...

I assume you mean the Lake Co. Ref. library in Merr.? Well, this is good to know as I was planning on spending some time there in Sept...I was just working on a list of obit dates, so I guess I have lots of time to get organized for when it's open..nuts! As you say it will undoubtedly take longer than planned. Wonder how they are updating it?? Seemed fine to me!

Ainsworthiana said...

Yes, the big one in Merrillville. But I just checked their Facebook page, and they announced that they've now got two microfilm reader/printers available for viewing old microfilm newspapers. So I guess the stuff won't be completely inaccessible. Too bad, I was looking forward to a little vacation. :)