Monday, August 29, 2011

Wild Mushrooms of Ainsworth: Rooting Polypore(?)

Rooting Polypore, top
Rooting Polypore, underside
(Click on images to enlarge)


This business of working on two blogs at once (yes, I'm still adding images to Downtown Hobart, and last Saturday at the museum I got a bunch more) at the busy, tomato-picking, zucchini-freezing time of year has really put a damper on my wild-stuff activity. But if I happen to stumble upon a polypore while I'm mowing my lawn, I can stop and identify it. Or at least try.

I think this is a Rooting Polypore (because it must be something and it doesn't look like anything else).

It doesn't grow sideways like that. I had to pick so I could see the stem and underside. And then lay it down on the grass in order to photograph it.

My mushroom guide is silent on the subject of whether it's edible.

No comments: