Sunday, August 6, 2023

Northern Pearly-Eye Satyr

2023-08-06. Northern Pearly-Eye Satyr 01
(Click on images to enlarge)

2023-08-06. Northern Pearly-Eye Satyr 02

I had never seen one of these before. This guy landed on a Carrion Flower vine in my field, sat there just long enough for me to snap a couple pics with my cell phone, and then flitted away, and I will probably never see another Northern Pearly-Eye Satyr as long as I live.

My butterfly book points out that the clubs on their antennae are black with orange tips.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That's beautiful! Did you know what it was as soon as you saw it?

Ainsworthiana said...

I almost never know what anything is as soon as I see it! :D I had to go paging through my butterfly book comparing the pictures.

Heather said...

I thought maybe you might have because it´s so unusual lol.