Wednesday, August 16, 2017

What Is This Name????

USUN1868-091, 092
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


This page in the Union Sunday School record book probably dates to 1869.

The surname name looks like "Heterman" or "Hetirnan" or something, but I can't find anything resembling that in the 1870 or 1860 census. As for the first name, I'm not sure if it's "Fritz" or "Trity," the latter of which sounds like a nickname for — what?

How am I supposed to index when people won't write legibly?


(On the other hand, it's nice to see little six-year-old Calvin Shearer going to Sunday School.)

3 comments:

Jon C said...

Sorry, I could'nt figure it out either

Rachel said...

I want to guess Huitinen on the last name. It's a Finnish last name. I can't make any guesses on the first.

Ainsworthiana said...

Well, that's a new one! I never thought about whether any Finns lived in Hobart in the 1860s/70s. That name doesn't show up in the census, but you get points for creativity. :)