Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hobart Is No Place to Raise a Family!

I wonder what Hugo Zobjeck found so objectionable about Hobart, after all these years? — his family had lived there for more than a decade. Too many disorderly drunks, maybe? Hugo had plenty of family to raise; having lost his wife in 1919, he was now responsible for seven children ranging in age from 15 to about three, though I expect he had help from his 20-year-old married daughter, Carrie, living in his household with her own little family.

4-13-2014 Zobjeck
(Click on image to enlarge)
From the Hobart News 14 Apr. 1921.


I haven't found the Tomshak farm on a plat map, but I haven't tried very hard. The Gazette described it as "about eight miles east and two miles south of Hobart, on the North Hobart-Valparaiso road" — that road being, I believe, Cleveland Avenue/W 700 N. Anyway, I'm not sure if he actually moved there, or if so for how long. The 1930 census seems to have overlooked the Zobjecks, but by 1935 they were again in Hobart.


Also, our friend Ross Graham is selling a bunch of stuff at the old Rohwedder livery barn in Hobart. (The other "undersigned" was probably John S. Burris of Hobart. I don't know where John got all that livestock and farming equipment; the 1920 census shows him as a steel worker.)


Sources:
1910 Census.
1920 Census.
1940 Census.
♦ "Local and Personal." Hobart News 14 Apr. 1921.
♦ "Local Drifts." Hobart Gazette 15 Apr. 1921.
♦ "Public Sale." Hobart Gazette 15 Apr. 1921.
♦ "Public Sale." Hobart News 14 Apr. 1921.

2 comments:

Suzi E. said...

Hi, Happy Easter! I told Joe V. From the Hobart Muse. about your blog as his bottling display that he is working on has Zobjeck items in it. He found a news item in the Hobart Bottling Works file from 1971 in which one of Hugo's daughters reminisced about her childhood. I think he is also working on a related story for the newsletter.
I had only 3 daffodils from two large beds of them, poor things! Glad spring has apparently sprung!

Unknown said...

I have a friend here that is a relation to the Zobjeck's and the Hobart Bottling works, she is telling me the address was at 201 Main Street in downtown Hobart. She is trying to get more info about it.