Thursday, January 9, 2014

Questions for Palm Relatives and Inquisitive Genealogists

I have received an inquiry concerning Hulda Palm from a genealogist in Sweden, who writes:
Some of my grandmother's siblings emigrated to America from Öland, Sweden in the late 1800s - early 1900s. Their surname was Sten and in USA they translated their name to Stone. I've got information from one of my now living relatives that Hulda Stone perhaps is the daughter of John Stone, a brother of my grandmother, and that Hulda married Peter Palm and they got three children: Helen, Ester and Elmer. I was so surprised to find this family on a picture from Labour Day on your blog. The thing is, that according to what I've found out, Hulda is probably not the daughter of this John Stone, because the dates doesn't agree. I think perhaps you could be the person who would know who Peter Palm's wife Hulda was, her background and where she came from. If you do so, I would be so grateful if you would take time and write back to me telling me what you know. Perhaps she is one of my ancestors, perhaps not.
Unfortunately I don't know enough about Hulda Palm to settle this question. Her maiden name was Stone, of that I'm convinced, as Peter Palm lived in Chicago and the Cook County marriage records show him marrying Hulda Stone in 1910; their ages in that record correspond with their ages in later censuses, and their children were all born after 1910.

But who was this Hulda Stone? Was she the daughter of John Sten? Did she come to this country from Öland, Sweden? I can only hope that someone who knows the answers to these questions will see this post and respond.

No comments: