Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Calvin's High Chair

Yet another artifact of Calvin Shearer's infancy, preserved in the Hobart Historical Society museum.

The display includes a typewritten account of the chair's history.

High chair history
(Click on images to enlarge)

The chair is both beautiful and functional.

High chair side

Where baby sits

If this bowl and holder also date back to 1914, it's a miracle they survived the years unbroken.

High chair tray

The rhyme on the left side is one I never heard before:
Bowl rest rhyme 1
One, two, three, four, five,
Catching fishes all alive:
Why did you let them go?
Because they bit my finger so.
Which finger did they bite?
The little finger on the right.


The rhyme on the right side I did learn, at least partially, as a child.
Bowl rest rhyme 2
There was an old woman who lived in a shoe:
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do.
She gave them some broth without any bread,
Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.


… That is to say, I remember the first two lines, but somehow I think the last two might have been dropped by the time it reached to me.

No comments: