Friday, November 25, 2011

Trees of Ainsworth: Eastern Wahoo

Eastern Wahoo seed pod from below
(Click on images to enlarge)

No, I'm not really starting a "Trees" series! Especially not now, when all the trees have lost their leaves.

But I accidentally identified this because I thought at first that these cute pink-and-red things were wildflowers … until I noticed they were attached to a small tree. And when I found out the tree was called "Eastern Wahoo," how could I resist?

More boringly known as Eastern Burningbush, or Euonymous.

Per the Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: "The powdered bark was used by American Indians and pioneers as a purgative. 'Wahoo' was the native term."

This shot includes one of the few leaves that were left on the tree (late October).
Eastern Wahoo seed pods and leaf

Found in Deep River County Park.

No comments: