Thursday, July 9, 2020

The Iverson Girls in Sunday School

As I mentioned in my last post, I am now pretty well convinced that Henry Iverson, the Chicago photographer, did indeed move down to the small town of Hobart in the late 1880s to practice his profession, because I have found two of his daughters attending the Union Sunday School in Hobart at that time.

Here is the Iverson family in the 1880 Census, recorded in Chicago, Illinois.

2020-07-09. 1880 census - Iverson
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image from Ancestry.com.


You will notice that among the daughters is a Theressa and a Maria.

From the Union Sunday School record book that begins in 1888, here is a list of students that includes "Mamie" Iverson — a common enough nickname for Mary or Maria, at that time …

2020-07-09. USUN1888-136, 137
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


… and "Thereas" Iverson, for which I think we can read "Theresa":

2020-07-09. USUN1888-138, 139
(Click on image to enlarge)
Image courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


This particular record book begins in September 1888 and ends in February 1891. These pages are undated, at the back of the book among random notes. The book gives very little information about who was teaching or studying in the Sunday School on any given date. But I'm not going to be picky; as far as I'm concerned this is evidence that the Iverson family fits into the timeframe established by H.C. Hanson's newspaper.

Maybe when the libraries open up again I can check other sources.

It's my blog and I'll obsess about minor things if I want to.

No comments: