Friday, September 2, 2011

Hobart House Image Extravaganza

In honor of Hobart House's closing, let us post some images from its happier days. I don't think I've posted these before, but I may be wrong. This blog is overloading my memory and I find the "Search this Blog" function a bit temperamental.

All these are from the Hobart Historical Society.


This photo is undated, but given the fashions, the absence of automobiles and the condition of the sidewalk and Main Street, I'd guess at sometime in the late 19th century.

Undated photo
(Click on images to enlarge)


An undated postcard. From the autos in front, I'd say — first decade of the 20th century.

Undated postcard


This postcard is postmarked June 6, 1909.

Postmarked 6-6-1909


Postmarked June 2, 1910:*

Postmarked 6-2-1910


This appears to be a photograph of a postcard, undated, but probably circa 1910.

Undated photo of postcard


Postmarked September 15, 1910:

Postmarked 9-15-1910


In this image from a postcard postmarked July 17, 1912 it looks as if they've rigged up summer shades to block the sun from the porch. It must have gotten pretty hot in that building on summer afternoons, with the sun beating down on its unshaded back side.

Postmarked 7-17-1912


In this undated photo, the Hobart House is all decked out for some festive occasion.

Undated postcard

________________________________
*This postcard was from Howard Shearer to Elsie Wojahn in Ainsworth, so I have added its verso to their courtship correspondence (it's the second from the top).

No comments: