Friday, January 7, 2011

Hobart Then and Now: Along Lake George

Circa 1933 and 2010.

Along Lake George ca 1933.
Along Lake George 2010.
(Click on images to enlarge. If you wish to view the "original" size of the top image on Flickr, be warned that it is a very large file; I scanned it at a high resolution because there is so much going on in the background.)

I have the weirdest feeling that I've already posted this, but I can't find it in the blog, so here goes.

The top image is from a postcard postmarked 1933 (bought on eBay). I don't see anything in the picture to date it earlier than that.

We're just south of the dam, looking along the rear of the west-side Main Street business district. If you look straight up from the four young women, you can see the roof and steeple of the second Trinity Lutheran Church (now replaced by the Lakeview Apartments). I can't precisely identify any of the other structures. That big building (directly behind the wooden structure the kids are playing on in the lake) is probably the livery barn out back of the Hobart House.

Here is the reverse of the postcard.

verso of postcard showing Along Lake George 1933.
(Click on image to enlarge)

The original is now at the Hobart Historical Society Museum.

2 comments:

Janice said...

I have not seen that postcard before--I love it. Those four girls are great! I was baptized in that Lutheran church. . .
Thanks for posting it!

Ainsworthiana said...

I love this picture too. So much going on back there! It's a view of Hobart I hadn't seen before, and its turning up on eBay was a lucky break. I keep hoping to come across some unexpected view of Ainsworth on eBay, but so far no luck.

It's a pity the church is gone, it was so lovely. I'm sure the Lakeview Apartments are a nice place to live, but architecturally they're a bit dull.