Saturday, December 24, 2011

Just Try to Have a Merry Christmas Anyway

Bad Santa
(Click on images to enlarge)
Images courtesy of the Hobart Historical Society.


This Christmas card was sent to Frederick Hendrickson from "Santa Claus," aka Mama and Papa, in 1912. They lived in Gary, which in 1912 was six years old.

Bad Santa verso

Assuming I've found the right people in the census, little Frederick was then only about five years old.

If, at the tender age of five, I had received such a card in the mail, I would have spent that Christmas Eve, and every Christmas Eve for many years to come, hiding under the bed so Santa wouldn't get me.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

That's a very scary Santa!

But Merry Christmas to you anyway!

Ainsworthiana said...

Merry Christmas to you too!

Suzi Emig said...

Little Freddie must have been a real "terror" to require such extreme intimidation!!

Ainsworthiana said...

:D Maybe that's it! I hadn't thought of that.